Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Set Top Box connection to a TV (Dick Smith Electronics G1185)

In message , Phil Allison
writes

"Ian Jackson"

The UK used Ch36 (tuneable +/- two or three using a small screwdriver or
trimming tool).

** Cos unlike Australia, all colour TV in the UK was on UHF.

Actually, I see that Australia used the same,

** Absolutely NOT true.

A tiny few ( AFAIK only Sony ) VCRs sold in Australia used Ch 36

Sadly, I don't have your intimate knowledge of how TV developed in
Australia. It's something I'll try not to regret it until my dying day.

so I don't know why even an old 'VHF-only' type of TV should be 'specially
equipped' to receive only Ch28 (527.25MHz).

** You don't know the "why" of any damn thing.

Ch 28 ( a government sponsored channel ) was the only UHF channel on air in
Australian capital cities for many years.

In the UK, even though we only had Ch33 (serving the London area) for a
couple of years or so, we never had TV sets capable of receiving only
that one channel. Maybe the Australians are a load of cheapskates?
--
Ian