Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Set Top Box connection to a TV (Dick Smith Electronics G1185)

In message , Grant
writes
On Mon, 3 May 2010 22:54:54 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Phil Allison
writes

2. I guess the next thing would be to try it on A/V

** The DSE set top box only outputs video signals - so you MUST use the AV
inputs on your TV.

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=53445
This does say "Optional UHF Modulator, PAL G/I/K, NTSC".
What 'optional' means is anyone's guess! [Turn off / Turn on?]
But it obviously isn't Ch3 or 4.

How come the VHF TV set can actually receive one UHF channel? Is that a
special Australia 'feature'?

Nah, years ago it was standard to use a modulator output (usually on VCRs)
tuned to one of the low VHF channels.

The UK used Ch36 (tuneable +/- two or three using a small screwdriver or
trimming tool). Actually, I see that Australia used the same, so I don't
know why even an old 'VHF-only' type of TV should be 'specially
equipped' to receive only Ch28 (527.25MHz).

These days one expects to find A/V
on a TV.

Initially, in the UK, nearly every digital STB had an integral UHF
output modulator (fully tuneable from the menu). These days, hardly any
do. If you really do need an RF signal, you have to use an external
modulator.
--
Ian