Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default USB and hubs was Touchpads

On May 4, 2:47*am, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Wes on Mon, 03 May 2010 18:07:59 -0400
typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

* * * *I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it
into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network. *Now
_that_ is dumb. *I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a
thumb drive. *"Windows - it just works."

Pins 1,2,3,6 irc are what the signal goes in and *out on. *You need a cross over cable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable.

Actually a hub or multiport repeater would be easiest.

* * * * H,mmmm, can I plug a usb cable into one machine, a hub into the
other, and then plug the USB from the one machine into the USB hub in
the other?

* * * * Well, yes, I can, but will it work the way I want it? *I'd really
hate to find I'm dividing by zero and creating a black hole or a Higgs
boson generator, or some other minor catastrophe.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

USB doesn't work that way - it's a master/slave arrangement. There are
special cables that do the translation (far more complicated than a
simple ethernet crossover).

OTOH, IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is peer to peer, and you can simply plug a
cable into each computer and they'll see each other.