Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Default Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

5/370 should be the cap for the fan. Looks like the
terminals are pretty badly rusted. GE had a bunch of bad
caps. I'd be wanting to test that one for farads, and then
replace it regardless of the reading.

I notice you have a big round cap (can't tell if it's double
value, but at the moment it doesn't look like it) to the
left.

You likely won't find replacement AC caps sold at retail.
Might try "capacitors" in the yellow pages.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"brassplyer" wrote in message
Trane central air unit quit doing its thing (recently made
another
post about it) and I finally cracked open the housing.

Here are some pics - front and rear of a capacitor and a
pano of the
electronics. Am I mistaken or is the cap leaking stuff out
that it's
not supposed to be leaking? If so, under what heading in the
yellow
pages should I be looking for replacement pieces?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/.../cap_front.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/...4/cap_rear.jpg

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/3/...lectronics.jpg

Anything else you see that stands out as being obviously bad
or
suspicious? I can take closeups of anything you want a
better look at.

Thanks for all input.