Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Touchpads

On May 3, 6:03*pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 May 2010 06:50:26
-0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:

I've a new (to me) laptop, and after the first long session, I went
bought a mouse. * I'm considering one of the roll up keyboards, too.

I've recently seen those on eBay for $8. *Sucha deal! *Let me know how
they feel. I haven't seen one in a store.

* * * * I saw one in a story - $24. *I'll look for a store closer.

I moved away from mice about 15 years ago due to carpal warning
twinges. The ache went away that day.

Question: Why did the idiot put the keyboard legs on the wrong side?
The -front- should be lifted to alleviate carpal stress, not the back.

* * * * "It made sense, at the time." *A universal answer which explains
many decisions, particularly when years later the person being asked
has no idea why the decision was made that way in the first place.

* * * * I have a network cable, but apparently one cannot simply plug it
into the two ports on computers and make a simple home network. *Now
_that_ is dumb. *I'm updating the Sneakernet protocols to work with a
thumb drive. *"Windows - it just works."
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

I have a phone wire, but I can't just plug it into the ports on two
phones and make a simple home phone system. Is THAT dumb? The Ethernet
adapters on your computers were designed to connect to each other
through the appropriate equipment, which could be as simple as a
crossover cable, or as complicated as the whole internet.

There are many switches and hubs which are smart enough to figure out
which pair is being used for transmit and which for receive. I
wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that there are PC Ethernet cards
that do likewise, eliminating the need for crossover cables.

But the standard is quite clear on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568-B

BTW, which whiskey do you drink? I go back & forth between Jameson and
Jack Daniels.