Charlie Self

Default Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases

Scott Post responds:

In article ,
Charlie Self wrote:

Solid hardwood does look better, and IMO feels better as well. But at price

of
$3.12 per bf in plywood and $3.60 bf for solid wood you're going to see a

real
price differential.

Actually, it's only $1.80/bf. You should be able to get two 3/8" panels
out of a 4/4 board. Remember, you don't have to get all the saw marks
out of the non-show side.

I hadn't taken into account resawing for the back, but you're correct. Sides
and shelves, top and bottom, though, are full thickness (we hope!).

I won't tell you about the comment one of my Parris Island drill instructors
had about boots who didn't shine the backs of their shoes, either.

You can do the solid wood back panel even with plywood shelves, of course.
Personally, I love the V notch look on old bookcases, cabinets, etc.

I just made a solid wood back for a cabinet yesterday and posted what I
did he

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/h....pl?read=22297

Looks great, if a bit fancier than what I was describing. Great plane, too. And
as someone else says, your hair is really swingin'.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html