Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CFL/ zapper problems

sparky wrote:
On Apr 10, 8:45?am, "Ca****cher" wrote:
Had a similar problem with a dish network box about 2-3 years ago. ?The CFL
was in a floor lamp line-of-sight about eight feet in front of the box.
Pressing a key on the remote would yield unexpected results. ?After several
days we correlated the problems with the light (which wasn't used all the
time). ?I suspect the CFL emitted significant IR which confused the receiver
in the box.

Ca****cher

"N_Cook" wrote in message

Nothing technical in this national newspaper article, anyone been there
before ? poor/absent Hamming codes ? mains wiring interference, not IR ?
(hallway lamp ref in the full article)- Hide quoted text -

it is a well known problem ( to some of us anyway ) that CFLs produce
massive amounts of IR radiation interference and will create havoc on
some remote controls. For some reason not all remotes are affected.
This is one of the prices we pay for cheaper lamps.

I was told by a Xerox repair tech that electronic ballast bulbs in offices
can interfere with the sensors along the paper path causing jams
for no apparent reason.