Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Vibratory tumblers

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
That is odd indeed. I think now I have the 10 and got the 25 consumables.

I put in small quarter and 50 cent and dime size steel that have melted
steel
on the edges - from plasma cutting - and have ceramic rhombic shaped
ceramic
that THEY sell as a part number. They also sell round/octal chunks that
are
different in actions. I'll try them next. I've almost rounded these and
they
are still working. It works wet or dry - and has a drain an drip in port.

There isn't a frequency spec. It is multi-modal in action.

It isn't a vibration tank - I have one as well. Those are frequency
defined.

It sounds like you want a cleaning tank not a vibration polisher.

The tank is plastic - thick rubber type. It goes up/down and side to
side.
Internally it rolls the material in a form like a donut - the center is
a 'post' cone like - that bolts on the lid.

A part has to be sized to the opening on one side and small enough to
drive up/down. in the cycle.

What are you trying to to - and what is the size ?
I'd have to take a measure to mine.

The short answer is "I haven't a clue". the long one is "I want that thingy
wot did such a wonderful job on the titanium hip joints on TV".
Seriously, forget my idiocy about the vibration frequency - Hz being events
per second rather than per minute. Lord knows I should know!
I am pretty sure the vibrating tumbler is the way to go. As to the size of
things - well, there is a wide selection. I was even wondering if you could
put rings around the central column (one at a time) and see if the movement
of the media over and around them would suffice in absence of free movement
of the part itself. So far I have not found anyone who has tried it.

I was also wondering how essential is the doughnut shape of the bowl to the
proper action of the unit. I suspect not as I have seen other (generally
bigger) vibrating tumblers which have different shapes (see Dave
Billington's post - I think). As none of this is life-saving I can play with
the concepts for a while.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC