Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default What are these cute lietle Kaiser things for? Flycutters?

Ignoramus4389 wrote:

Those are for attaching to a boring bar shank that you still need to buy or find in
whatever haul you made this time.

Or I could make it, right? It sounds like these are kind of
interesting little things.

I think you could make the other side just fine. You have the machines.

I guess the idea is if the insert blows out and you catch it in time you can re-use the
bar with a new head. Usually the insert blows out, the machine is too dumb (no load
monitoring) and the head is chewed up and the bar is bent or broken. Operator nowhere
near to hit the stop button. But that is where I work.

Now I supose you could have a lh and rh head and use it on the same bar shank but how much
does that really save? I don't get it.

Wes