Scott Post

Default Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases

In article ,
Charlie Self wrote:

Solid hardwood does look better, and IMO feels better as well. But at price of
$3.12 per bf in plywood and $3.60 bf for solid wood you're going to see a real
price differential.

Actually, it's only $1.80/bf. You should be able to get two 3/8" panels
out of a 4/4 board. Remember, you don't have to get all the saw marks
out of the non-show side.

You can do the solid wood back panel even with plywood shelves, of course.
Personally, I love the V notch look on old bookcases, cabinets, etc.

I just made a solid wood back for a cabinet yesterday and posted what I
did he

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/h....pl?read=22297

--
Scott Post http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/