Posted to alt.home.repair

Default An under-the-floor heater

On May 3, 9:05*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 5/3/2010 8:06 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 2, 11:46 pm, Sam *wrote:
Hi,

I have a very small room on the first floor and the hot water radiator
takes way too much space. I'm not considering a baseboard.

Here's how I would like to heat it?

Place fin tubing between the joists in the basement. Insulate the
subflooring to protect the hardwood floors (and I am not looking for a
warm floor). Install two registers through the floor at either end of
the way between the joists. Install a slow rotating fan somewhere along
the bay. Box the whole thing in.

My idea is that the air will get heated by the fin tubing and enter the
room.

Would something like this work?
Where does one buy fin tubing?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

To meet fire safety code you will need to box it in with metal. *And
you will need to figure out how to have access it all for repair/
replacement purposes. *If you really want to make a small forced air
heat exchanger try the junk yard for an automotive heat exchanger.
They tend to be about the size you'd be looking for. *You need your
fan to be more that slow moving. *And you need to work a thermostat
control into it as well.

Or install an in floor radiant heating system instead.

I wonder about that. *Around here, in
NC, most of the builders run a feed duct
right under a kitchen or bathroom vanity
cabinet and let the warm air just fill
the cabinet base. *A register is mounted
on the kick plate of the cabinet. *I
wondered about fire safety.- Hide quoted text -

It's not the heated air that causes the requirement. It's the fan
motor.