Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On Mon, 3 May 2010 04:37:58 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Incidentally, having two identical monitors is a bad idea.
Sympathetic failure and contagious failure modes has been
known to propagate between the bad monitor and the good.
I would keep them apart just to be safe.

Uva uvam videndo varia fit, right?

http://alkek.library.txstate.edu/swwc/ld/ldex081a1.html
I don't think Samsung uses grape juice in their capacitors.

Monitor failures really are contagious. In about 2004, I purchased 9
almost identical Dell systems, all with E173FPF(?) LCD displays. They
worked just fine for 3 years, when they started failing. The ones
that were the warmest and powered on the longest failed first. Within
about 2 months, 6 had developed bad capacitor failure symptoms. What
I found amazing was there was one monitor that was left in the box for
about 2 years. It was used to replace the first monitor failure, and
promptly died about 6 months later. Apparently, they age in the box.
When asked by the owner what was happening, I joked that such failures
were contagious. Unfortunately, my explanation leaked all over the
company with predictable embarrassment. I had to write a company wide
memo explaining what was really happening, what I was doing to fix it,
and apologize for my bad joke. (However, I didn't promise not to do
it again).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D