Posted to sci.electronics.repair
saber850 saber850 is offline

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On May 2, 10:50*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 2 May 2010 17:58:59 -0700 (PDT), saber850
wrote:

If it is the invertor or the power supply circuit, would either be
worth repairing/replacing instead of replacing the entire monitor? *Is
there any part of an LCD monitor whose expense would not justify its
replacement, and to simply replace the monitor as a whole?

The Samsung SyncMonster 204/214 is all one big board. *There are
replacement boards available on eBay but they tend to have the same
problem that you're trying to fix.

Sending the monitor to the recyclers for such a simple problem will
surely bring down upon your head the wrath of all repairmen,
ecologists, and toxic waste handlers. *To maintain your karma, you
must at least make an attempt at repair.

Incidentally, having two identical monitors is a bad idea. Sympathetic
failure and contagious failure modes has been known to propagate
between the bad monitor and the good. *I would keep them apart just to
be safe.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

I'm all for repairing it, but I just want to make sure the repair is
cost effective. From the information I've received from this group,
and websites, it seems the repair will be very inexpensive if it's
just some capacitors.

Is there a way I can gain confidence that the problem is w/ the
capacitors, before opening it up?