Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default An under-the-floor heater

On May 2, 10:46*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have a very small room on the first floor and the hot water radiator
takes way too much space. I'm not considering a baseboard.

Here's how I would like to heat it?

Place fin tubing between the joists in the basement. Insulate the
subflooring to protect the hardwood floors (and I am not looking for a
warm floor). Install two registers through the floor at either end of
the way between the joists. Install a slow rotating fan somewhere along
the bay. Box the whole thing in.

My idea is that the air will get heated by the fin tubing and enter the
room.

Would something like this work?
Where does one buy fin tubing?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Did you ever hear of Radiant heating, no fan needed and a warm floor
is great, but there are total output of Btu isssues. A fan is also
going to pull alot of electricity, maybe equal to what the whole
boiler uses now and will be noisy. Cast iron radiators put out alot of
Btus and continue to release heat for hours where any fin tube will
cool off in maybe 10% of the time as a cast iron radiator, net result
you will be cold just from the inbalance you have just entered into
the equation, even if your new "experiment" has the same Btu output. A
radiator in a room releases radiant heat and convective heat, how are
you going to rate and make two different sources equal. Something like
that would need a seperate loop , pump, and thermostat to have any
chance of giving you equal heat. I bet the rating of Btus between cast
iron and any fin tube will also vary as the boiler reaches its
operating temp. Bottom line I think it wont make you happy when its
real cold out, you might get it to work at maybe 40f outside but not
on the coldest days.