Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default OT Get ready the economy is about to tank:(

clipped

It is extremely odd that the blowout-preventer cannot be used to stop the
flow of oil. By standard and law they are tested frequently.

It ain't that odd, all kinds of things can prevent them from working.
Debris or damage can keep them open, I've see parts of tool strings that
drillers forgot they put down the hole still down there years later. In
this case the malfunction is especially unfortunate, but anything man can
design and build, forces he didn't anticipate can mess up.

Allegedly there are seven remote subs in use, but I haven't heard a word
about whether they have reached the BOP or any details about controlling
the flow. Just trying to see down in that mess seems just about
impossible...5k feet down, dark, oily, silty...bad news.