Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] pwu@qantas.com.au is offline

Default Set Top Box connection to a TV (Dick Smith Electronics G1185)

Does it get channel 3 or 4? That's all you need. Set the box on 3
or 4 (there's a switch somewhere proobably.) and set the tv to the
same channel. If all the connections have been made and you have
plugged in the set top box and turned it on and the tv on, do you see
anything on the tv? If not, set the box to the other number and set
the tv to the same channel.

If you can't find any switch, just connect and try channels 3 and 4 on
the tv.

The TV does get channel 3 & 4. I did tune the TV to 3 and 4 and I
don't
get anything although the front of the set top box shows "signal".
The
box does not have a switch which says 3 or 4.

It has both this and TV Aerial? Do they look different? What do they
look like?

Both TV Aerial and ANT INT look the same - I think they are called BNC
you know
where a coax cable goes in. That is what is confusing

If your tv is old, I doubt you have an svideo jack on it. Is your tv
stereo. Does it have RCA jacks. (See images.google.com to see what
an RCA jack looks like.)

What connections do you have on your tv. What are they labeled? How
many of them physically resemble any of these last 7 on your box?

My TV does not have SVIDEO.

It has "A/V" and when I around the back I see 4 connectors
in that area. The top row is labelled "IN" and bottom row "OUT" and
the first column is
labelled "Audio" and "Video". I suppose the set top box is sending out
stereo and the
TV epects mono - I can probably plug either L(Left) or R(Right) into
that connector and
"Video out" to "video" and press "A/V" on my TV.

So in summary I:
Connected a indoor aerial to "TV Aerial"
Connected the "TV/VCR" to TV's "ANT"
Switched my TV to channels 1,3,4 but I don't get anything

1. Anyone have any ideas?
2. I guess the next thing would be to try it on A/V

Thanks for any help