Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Set Top Box connection to a TV (Dick Smith Electronics G1185)

On Sun, 2 May 2010 21:23:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

I have a 2 year old set top box (Dick Smith Electronics G1185)
which I understand recvieves digital TV stations and converts the
signal suitable
for an analogue TV. My TV is quite old so it is basically a VHF
receiver although it can receive one UHF channel 28.

Does it get channel 3 or 4? That's all you need. Set the box on 3
or 4 (there's a switch somewhere proobably.) and set the tv to the
same channel. If all the connections have been made and you have
plugged in the set top box and turned it on and the tv on, do you see
anything on the tv? If not, set the box to the other number and set
the tv to the same channel.

If you can't find any switch, just connect and try channels 3 and 4 on
the tv.

How do I connect the set top box to my TV? Perhaps you have this
model?

The back of the set top box has connects labelled:
TV Arial

Connect an aerial. If your stations are near, within 10 or 20 miles,
you can probalby just put a thin stiff wire in the center hole of the
connector and stretch the wire out. Make it at least 3 feet long but
maybe 6 or 7 feet would be better.

For info on how many stations you should be able to get and what
direction they are from where your tv is, check out
www.tvfool.com .

TV/VCR

Connect a piece of co-axial cable from here to your tv. Does your tv
have a connector like the one here? If so no problem . How old is
your old tv? Does it have a knob to turn to change stations or just
up and down buttons, or numeric buttons, like you used to press 1 and
3 to go to channel 13. And you press 3 to go to 3? If it's the
latter, it almost surely has a co-axial connector on the back.

If it's the former, a knob to turn to change channels, they can get
dirty and sometimes not work well on a given channel. Try holding the
knob a little bit off the place it comes to rest and see if it works
then, or if the static on the screen changes. If it won't work on 3
or 4 To clean the connections, turn the knob back and forth through
channels 3 and 4 a few times. That can help a lot.

ANT INT

It has both this and TV Arial? Do they look different? What do they
look like?

TV OUT
RS232
Video Out
SPDIF
SVIDEO

If your tv is old, I doubt you have an svideo jack on it. Is your tv
stereo. Does it have RCA jacks. (See images.google.com to see what
an RCA jack looks like.)

What connections do you have on your tv. What are they labeled? How
many of them physically resemble any of these last 7 on your box?

I assume that I connect my indoor arial to the "TV Arial" and my TV to
"TV/VCR". What TV channel do I tune my TV to get the output signal.
Needless to say I have lost the manual.

I have tried channel 3 which is an old standard for VCRs I have had in
the past.
Thanks for any help.

--
Posters should say what U,S. state if any they live in. Why
do so many keep their state as secret as their own name?

IANAL. That is, I am not a lawyer.