Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O[_2_] Greg O[_2_] is offline

Default New small engine Q. Was: Carb jet?

wrote in message
device.

Using a bit of loctite can sometimes make the key last long enough to
find out what ELSE is wrong, to get the motor running.
I've been known to use a steel key for troubleshooting. A real good
idea to put the original back in after the problem is found and fixed,
but I've left a steel key in, or used lock-tite on a couple "cranky"
older engines.

If you are having problems with the aluminum flywheel key shearing when
starting the engine you have either a bad fit on the flywheel taper, or not
enough torque on the flywheel nut.
I have run Briggs engines without a flywheel key, the taper will hold the
flywheel in place, the key is just to locate the flywheel for timing.
Greg