Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Hard to Start Stihl FS 36 Trimmer?

On May 2, 4:33*pm, Bob Villa wrote:
On May 1, 4:00*pm, ransley wrote:

On May 1, 2:28*pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:

I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to
start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and
a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke and run
positions. Usually run gets it going. The outside temp is 62F. The
little transparent fuel clear bulb has lots of fuel in it, as required.
There is a bubble in it that may be 1/2" in diameter. I used it the
other day for 30 minutes.

How to proceed?

When my 36 got hard to start the carb was fouled from storing gas in
it and I had to get it cleaned. Pull the plug after trying and I bet
its wet and flooded, so use dont flood it if possible. Either-
starting fluid should help but the final solution might be a carb
cleaning, a new plug might help, when the plug is out ground it and
pull the cord to see if the spark is good.

Ether is NOT a good idea on a 2-cycle. *WD-40 (butane and lube) will
do no harm as primer to start fuel moving again.- Hide quoted text -

Use Either-starting fluid that has Oil added