Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default My Lawn: Am I beating a dead horse?

On May 2, 11:21*am, Tony wrote:
I have a ranch on a 1/4 acre of land. My lawn isnt huge but there is enough of it. *Here's the link:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...ontofhouse.jpg

Yesterday, I really decided to tackle my terrible lawn. I have multiple issues. Maybe some of you
can help. Yesterday, I rented a power rake from Home Depot and thatched the lawn. *Here is what came
out of the lawn only for the front yard. It may not look like a lot but there is a lot and I already
got rid of a few pails:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...783/thatch.jpg

What is the next step? Do I put lime down? Do I seed? Do I fertilize? I do not know what kind of
grass to use. I have planted Scotts seed last year and the grass is so different from the grass I
already have. Instead of thin dense grass, the Scotts grass is fat and grows way faster and higher.
I went to a local nursery yesterday and the guy insisted that the taller Scotts grass was weeds and
not grass and he had no idea what kind of grass I already have. How can I find out. When I patch the
lawn, I want it to match so that it isnt so obvious because of the differernt kinds of grass. *See
he

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../grasstype.jpg

One other question: How do I level the lawn? It dips down a bit in the middle. And I want the lawn
to be higher by the house and grade down as it goes to the street. Do I add soil over the grass to
level it or do I have to rip the grass out and then add the soil. Here is a pic but its hard to see
the dips:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...783/slope2.jpg

I am trying to sell my house so I am not looking to pay a lot of money for a landscaper, which is
why I am doing this myself. I am on the verge of a short sale and I would be happy to sell to break
even and lose the $150,000 I paid these past 5 years rather than the kill my great credit. Do I have
any hope or do I need a professional landscaper? I cannot believe dirt and lawns are so friggin
complicated. Thanks for any help you can give.

Tony

Photo 3 is Crab Grass not lawn grass, Ortho Weed Be Gone now does Crab
Grass. Your lawn looks to short, best is cut it as tall as you can
till maybe it kinda flops, not the highest mower setting but I think
about 3 1/4". How do you fertilise and water, what are the tree types.
Thick thatch is from liqued fertiliser. You need soil tests done and
some pro advise. If it was my lawn I would spray the crab grass and
fertilise, then in a few weeks seed. The crab grass is from last years
seed fom the Crab Grass growing not Scotts seed. Is it real shady, it
looks like it is and many types of Maples have shallow roots that make
getting a good lawn near impossible.