Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default My Lawn: Am I beating a dead horse?

Tony wrote:

I have a ranch on a 1/4 acre of land. My lawn isnt huge but there is enough of it. Here's the link:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...ontofhouse.jpg

Yesterday, I really decided to tackle my terrible lawn. I have multiple issues. Maybe some of you
can help. Yesterday, I rented a power rake from Home Depot and thatched the lawn. Here is what came
out of the lawn only for the front yard. It may not look like a lot but there is a lot and I already
got rid of a few pails:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...783/thatch.jpg

What is the next step? Do I put lime down? Do I seed? Do I fertilize? I do not know what kind of
grass to use. I have planted Scotts seed last year and the grass is so different from the grass I
already have. Instead of thin dense grass, the Scotts grass is fat and grows way faster and higher.
I went to a local nursery yesterday and the guy insisted that the taller Scotts grass was weeds and
not grass and he had no idea what kind of grass I already have. How can I find out. When I patch the
lawn, I want it to match so that it isnt so obvious because of the differernt kinds of grass. See
he

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../grasstype.jpg

One other question: How do I level the lawn? It dips down a bit in the middle. And I want the lawn
to be higher by the house and grade down as it goes to the street. Do I add soil over the grass to
level it or do I have to rip the grass out and then add the soil. Here is a pic but its hard to see
the dips:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...783/slope2.jpg

I am trying to sell my house so I am not looking to pay a lot of money for a landscaper, which is
why I am doing this myself. I am on the verge of a short sale and I would be happy to sell to break
even and lose the $150,000 I paid these past 5 years rather than the kill my great credit. Do I have
any hope or do I need a professional landscaper? I cannot believe dirt and lawns are so friggin
complicated. Thanks for any help you can give.

Tony

Got to a seed and fertilizer vendor's web site like Scotts.com and look
at their guides for your region. You may have a state Ag extension
office that can give you advice as well. Soil additions should really be
based on a soil test to determine what is actually needed. Soil
compaction seems to be a big issue nearly everywhere, so aeration, or if
the lawn isn't worth saving, deep tilling the entire thing may be
needed.