Posted to sci.electronics.repair
saber850 saber850 is offline

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On May 2, 8:13*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
s.com, saber850 writes

The problem is that the monitor displays the picture, and then
gradually fades to white, and then gradually fades to black.

Erk. *That video you put on Youtube is kinda creepy! *Are you sure it's
not demonic possession?

I don't think it's a backlight problem. *It looks more like a contrast
issue. *I have a similar Samsung monitor (SyncMaster 2343 widescreen)
with touch controls and It looks like yours has those too. *In your
situation, the first thing I would do is whip the back off and
disconnect the touch control board from the main board and see if the
problem stops. *I'm wondering if a "button" is stuck.

Then I'd probably move to gently heating some of the chips, particularly
those on the back of the LCD panel, with a hairdryer to see if the fault
is temperature-related.

I know you say you want to try and fix it, but if it's a panel fault,
the monitor's fit only for scrap.

--
(\__/) *
(='.'=) *Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

Yeah, I was also a bit disturbed by the video when the picture's color
inverts. I've changed my background so if I capture another video of
the malfunctioning problem, it won't contain a person.

If the problem were related to a "stuck" or "sticking" button on the
face of the monitor, I'd expect the problem to exist all the time, or
at least after I use the buttons. But neither is the case for me.
The problem will start at a seemingly random time, and stop after a
seemingly equally random duration. In particular, I rarely use the
monitor's buttons except for power.

I was also thinking about applying heat to the back of the monitor to
see if that triggers the problem. If that triggers it, does that
suggest a cold solder joint?

Thanks for the info about the worth of the panel.