Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Milling gummy aluminum- advice?

On 5/3/2010 6:19 AM, axolotl wrote:
I am making some rack mounts out of (presumably 6063) 2x2x1/4 angle. My
results are not good. I am using a new, sharp, two flute 3/8" end mill
with WD-40 as cutting fluid. Spindle speed is about 2800; I started
slower and went up to get better results. I am cutting both sides of the
slot.
I am experiencing tearout, vibration and a lousy finish.

Motherly advice?

Kevin Gallimore

Generally I use kerosine as a lube for aluminium .Work well and prevents
the stuff from sticking to the cutting tool.
I have used it on my milling machine and with the wood router with
carbide cutting edges .

Also on the router to keep the mess down I have used an ordinary wax
candle ,just rub it along the line you are cutting on ,it will melt and
lubricate the cutting edge.

--
Kevin (Bluey)