Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New small engine Q. Was: Carb jet?

On Sun, 02 May 2010 18:02:50 -0400, Bob Engelhardt

... Using a bit of medium lock-tite
on the crank taper can prevent the key from shearing too!!!

Uh ... the key is SUPPOSED to shear. Like when the mower hits a rock.
That's why they're made with aluminum. At least it's so for B&S engines.

Bob

I'm aware of that. But getting an engine to START without shearing
the key is sometimes an issue.

The blade is on the OTHER end, and it also has a shear protection
device.
Using a bit of loctite can sometimes make the key last long enough to
find out what ELSE is wrong, to get the motor running.
I've been known to use a steel key for troubleshooting. A real good
idea to put the original back in after the problem is found and fixed,
but I've left a steel key in, or used lock-tite on a couple "cranky"
older engines.