Glen

Default OT - Death of Shop Dog

As someone who has had some great dogs over the years, my heart goes out to
you. Some people can never understand how one can get so attached to a dog,
but believe me, I do know how you feel. About giving that extra love,
thanks for the reminder. My shop dog, a German Shepard/Newfoundland mix
will be 15 in March, and I can see the weakness in her legs. She doesn't
run into the shop anymore, but sort of ambles in. It will be a sad day when
she joins your Annie in that great pasture in the sky. I will remember to
give her that extra pat on the head this morning when I head out to the
shop.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Glen

"Glen Duff" wrote in message
I'm really sorry to lay this on you guys especially this time of year
and when Annie my shop dog died suddenly a few weeks ago I wasn't going
to say anything, just keep a stiff upper lip. She was an 11 year old
Beagle-Basset cross and was the best dog by far that I ever had. I have
never met a friendlier dog. I was hoping the pain of her loss would go
away after a few weeks but I can't help think of her every time I expect
her to be around and she isn't. The only thing that really helps is to
remember the great times, especially her unconditional love, patiently
waiting in or near my shop. I don't know if it was a premonition or not
but this summer I took more time than ever petting her and enjoying her
company as I realized she was getting older and would not be around
forever.

One of the hardest things I ever did was to build her coffin, just a
simple box of rough pine that her body fit in comfortably. It took
about 30 minutes to build and I cried uncontrollably the whole time.
I'm usually really careful with my wood but she got the best 1 x 10
rough pine boards in the shop. The coffin will be kept out of the sun
in a north facing corner where my shop joins the barn. It will be
insulated with straw bales until the frost is out of the ground next
spring. She will be buried at her favourite spot just to the side of
the driveway under a maple tree overlooking our country road where she
could keep an eye on the action and was always there waiting for us to
come home. A brass remembrance plaque will be fixed to the tree.

For those of you with dogs, take a little extra time to comfort them and
give them back just a little of all that they give you. I am grateful
and privileged to have had Annie in my life for all those years. I
don't know if there is a heaven for dogs but if there is I know one that
will be there.

Happy New Year,

Glen Duff