Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Milling gummy aluminum- advice?

axolotl wrote:
I am making some rack mounts out of (presumably 6063) 2x2x1/4 angle.
My results are not good. I am using a new, sharp, two flute 3/8" end
mill with WD-40 as cutting fluid. Spindle speed is about 2800; I
started slower and went up to get better results. I am cutting both
sides of the slot.
I am experiencing tearout, vibration and a lousy finish.

Motherly advice?

Kevin Gallimore

Use a 5/16" end mill and cut it in two passes after you chain drill . I like
NAPA penetrating lube in the spray can for cutting aluminum . Seems to lube
a bit better than WD .
Worst I ever had was some .125" slots in some 304SS . Pieces were for a
dog harness so the dog could pull a small wagon . Chain drilling them helped
a lot .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"