Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair

Default Resolution to fluorescent fixture problem

Peter wrote:

Peter wrote:
I bought an FS-4 starter today. Things started looking good when I
removed the glow bulb from the can and it looked to be the same
dimensions as the faulty glow bulb I originally removed. I soldered
the FS-4 in place and the fixture works perfectly.

Thanks to all who made constructive suggestions for pinpointing the
problem and for suggesting the fix. For whatever reason, the 18W lamp
bulb seems to require a starter normally rated for 30/40W bulbs.

It was worth the time and effort. Cost me $2 in parts (1 failed
attempt with the FS-2, and the successful attempt with the FS-4) and
about $2 in gasoline to salvage a lamp that I would have had to spend
at least $70 to replace.

We all learned something, now if you had put a multimeter on
it and measured currents, I would have learned a little more.
We'll show those darn disposable society types! *snicker*

TDD

Sorry to disappoint you.

As I noted in one of my replies dealing with this problem, I did not measure
voltages or currents because I could not find on the web (and no one who replied
in these groups provided) any details of electrical specifications that would
have helped me decide which standard starter's glow bulb to select for the
circuit in my fixture. Someone suggested trying the FS-4's glow bulb because
they said it had approx. double the voltage rating of the FS-2 and I had written
that the FS-2 glow bulb in this circuit caused continuous flickering. In
addition, I wasn't sure that the only electrical tool on my workbench (a 1960's
era VOM rated 10K Дж/V AC) would have provided a meaningful measurement.

Or survive the measurement.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.