Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Having a home shop means...

On 2 May 2010 05:46:05 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

On 2010-05-02, Wes wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

The sensors are battery powered, so I could use an insulating
support mast and not have to worry about lighting damage, but because of
the batteries, I will need access to them from time to time to change
cells.

[ ... ]

I'm running a LaCrosse solar powered wireless set up. Seems to avoid lighting issues just
fine. Buddy gave it to me when he installed a wired system. He is into instantanous wind
speed, something mine won't report since it samples every 10 minutes or so depending on
how I have it set.

This one is Oregon Scientific, and while it has a solar panel, it
is not designed to float charge rechargeables -- it only runs the sensors
during daylight, so the batteries are drained during the night, and when
it is quite dark during thunderstorms. It also reports only every so
often, but it reports both the average wind speed and the peak gust
speed during that interval.

The DavisI one which preceded it (the one damaged by lightning)
reports sort of instantaneous wind speed -- that it it updates about
every second or so, once it counts enough pulses from the anemometer.
:-)

My $289 ($599 retail) Oregon Scientific weather station died after
about 4 years. I saw an Accu-rite replacement system for $40 at Fred
Meyer and got it. The only things missing were wind direction and rain
gauge. Since I don't much care about either, I went for deal. The OS
was a wired system, this model 634 is wireless. Wind updates are
spaced at 18 seconds.

I'm entirely happy with the replacement, especially at that price.
They retail at $80. Commoditization at its finest.

--
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar.
-- Raymond Lindquist