Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Insulating and lining out a shipping container

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 01 May 2010 09:42:46 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I think interior insulation is the only way. Ask anyone who's spent time
in a caravan during extreme weather :-)

Stopping the heat getting through the first skin is important,
insulation will slow that heat down but it the laws of thermo
dynamics mean it will even out in the end. The safari roof would stop
a lot of the heat getting in in the first place.

Given that you want the option to fix shelves, I'd go with battens/
Jablite rather than wool, mainly for ease of installation, but also the
fact that it doesn't hold moisture. I imagine condensation will be an
issue with a metal structure.

Yes, insulation inside as well for condensation, remember to tape
joins and/or have a DPM on the warm side of some sort. The battening
or ply lining will give something to fix things to.

My loft is insulated top and bottom, the original 100mm wool on the
floor and, subsequently, bats between rafters for when I used to work up
there a bit in winter. I can't tell whether it's summer or winter up
there, the temperature is remarkably stable year round, despite no heating.