Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Vibratory tumblers

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Buy a pro type shaker - not a shell cleaner or polisher - the gun
ones are to light weight and will come apart.

The pro ones have a thick plastic bowl and can handle a lot of material.

I have both - one for reloading - one for small metal stuff.

I bought mine - and the ceramic shapes from MSCdirect.com

I am beginning to find out all the little glitches. Even some of the so
called "industrial" units do not have bowls that will take ceramics or
steel.

I am still not entirely clear how the vibrations are generated in these
units. I managed to find an exploded drawing of one and it seems that it
is the motor body that is attached to the bowl rather than some sort of
cam-shaft arrangement shaking the bowl.

I am trying to visualize how to get a big plastic bowl to shake at 1700
Hz with a motor cannibalized from a drill press :-)

That'll require some gears. 1700 Hz is 102,000 RPM.