Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default OT hand grip differences

On 5/1/2010 6:41 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
writes:

On 5/1/2010 4:06 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
"Michael A. writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I'm convinced that the biggest variation, with very occasional
exceptions caused by health, a

1) people who don't grasp (ha ha) the concept, and proffer a limp
flipper for the other person to shake.

2) people who understand the goal is a firm but not painful grip, and

3) people who seem to think they are Popeye and the other person's hand
is a can of spinach.

4) The person has a medical condition that has them in pain 24/7.

That's that "very occasional exceptions caused by health" clause.

5) People who offer their hand cupped so you get just the finger tips.
(Maybe just a 'West Coast Thing' for "I didn't want to shake your hand."

Isn't that a subcategory of 1?

I don't think so because of the difference in intent.
A 'limp flipper' is generally 'weak on the concept' as you say.
The 'flippers' I've met appeared distracted and 'out of it'.
He intends to play along and get through the experience as painlessly
as possible. He's not a mean fellow, necessarily.

Our 'cupped hand' guy understands the concept all too well and needs
to communicate that you are beneath contempt and certainly not
a social equal.

And then of course we have the "holds your hand so long you start
wondering if he wants you to be his boyfriend"

Heh! Never did that one.

If we keep this going much longer, we may be able to submit a paper to
the Annals of Improbable Research (formerly the Journal of
Irreproducible Results)...

I like their former name a lot better. Too witty!

--Winston