Posted to rec.woodworking
gray asphalt gray asphalt is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

I'm more of a Sketchup user than a woodworker.
I was a graphic designer. The more I learn about
SKUp, the more sophisticated it gets and the more
intuitive, but a lot different than Photoshop & others
that I'm used to as far as zooming, moving around
the screen, etc. It's easier than 3D programs I've
used, mostly Strata .... well anyway ...
I'm looking forward to getting the Dummies book
that I ordered yesterday. And to building my own
library. You've got to like the price for Sketchup
and it's isn't that limited, especially for real projects
as opposed to presentations and print media -
resolution is lower. The SU library is huge and the
models can be modified (not dynamic models in
free version of SU). I used it to rough out ideas for
my garage workshop. I really don't know the extent
of the library. There seems to be some new area
mentioned somewhere I din't expect that has hundreds
of models ... and everyone seems to be sharing.

"Marty" wrote in message
I have used Quick CAD (no longer available) for a years but
have started to use Sketchup. I struggled with it for a time, set it
aside, viewed the tutorials, tried it again, set it aside, and
tried it again with the idea I would learn it some how.... Then while
browsing in a book store found Skechup 7 for Dummies ($25). What an eye
opener!!! Much better then what can be found online and really has
helped understanding its use. Very clear and concise with many
illustrations.

Recommended, this time I won't set it aside.

Marty

On 4/10/2010 7:07 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I have always designed my projects using graph paper, ruler, pencil, and
(lots of) eraser. I have a somewhat more complicated job I want to do
now.
There is a design for an entertainment center in FWW that I want to
adapt. I
would like to take the measurements from the article, enter them on a
computer somehow, and then change the things I want. I have a friend who
uses Google Sketchup. He found it awkward to use and not that
sophisticated.
I don't want to invest the money and a lot of learning time on a CAD
program
unless I can get a recommendation on this group for a product that one of
you likes to use. Should I stick to my paper, pencil, and eraser?

TIA.

Dick Snyder