Posted to rec.woodworking
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default OT - locksets.

"Max" wrote in message
This is likely not the appropriate NG to be asking but I'm so
impressed with the knowledge here (G) that I thought I'd ask
anyway.
I want to replace all the exterior door locksets and deadbolts.
I've read a few "reviews" on some but what say you all?
I don't want to spend a fortune but like most of my purchases,
I'll spend whatever it takes to assure reasonable security.
("bumpproof", pick resistant, etc)
Any recommendations?

Max

Consider the Kwikset deadbolt with the numeric keypad. You can
set it to automatically extend the deadbolt after some time
interval, it's now self-handing and there's an LED to let you know
the door's locked. I have the older model, which is great, but
the newer one is smaller on the interior, easier to install and
works fine. The key cylinder for Kwikset can also be mastered to
any suitable key by the installer with no need for a locksmith.

I also second the thought that if a burglar wants in, he'll get
in. However, the goal is to slow them down and force them to make
as much noise as possible. With enough hassle facing him, he'll
just go next door. With that in mind, I install my deadbolts and
strike plates using long, hardened screws that go well into the
crip. All you need to do is be careful to not overtighten them
and warp the casing.

I once thought of Schlage as being good- better than Kwikset- but
changed that misconception after installing 5 of their exterior
door sets and deadbolts on my home in Raleigh. Within a couple
years, the brass had turned black. I contacted Schlage and their
attitude was, "Tough Luck, you're out of warranty. How about
buying our NEW coated brass sets, which will never darken?" The
words, Push, Cram and Shove came to mind. Grin

--
Nonny
On most days,