Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus26879 Ignoramus26879 is offline

Default Pictures of a double hook that I welded together

On 2010-05-01, Wes wrote:
"anorton" wrote:

Boy did you catch hell. I assume you know to never get under a lift.
Nuff said.

Wes

And here is a reminder why not
http://www.break.com/index/cable-fai...et-engine.html

We have a service company inspect our hoists every year. So far no incidents. Still, I
eyeball the situation before I perform a lift. Stuff happens.

I *always* operate on the concept that it is likely to fail. If the load needs
stabilizing, I use a tag line so I can stay away from the thing in case it falls. I'm
very squishy.

As far as Iggy, I'm fairly confident he understands physical properties well enough to
know if his setup is safe for what he is doing. If nothing else we have reinforced that
you don't get into the squish zone no matter how substantial your lifting setup appears to
be.

It is safe because what I am doing is far below the ultimate strength
of this assembly. Thanks Wes.