Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ddeu ddeu is offline

Default Pictures of a double hook that I welded together

"Wes" wrote in message
Ignoramus9191 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...ble-Grab-Hook/

I welded this double hook from two Harbor Freight grab hooks and a
1/4" steel plate. The purpose of it is to let me use arbitrary lengths
of chain, single and two ends, when lifting stuff, as well as grab to
access lifting eyes with just a piece of chain (see last
picture). Welding was done with 1/8" E7018 electrodes.

Boy did you catch hell. I assume you know to never get under a lift.
Nuff said.

Wes

I have seen many failed lifting hooks and accessories, and can think of at
least half a dozen due to welding. The loads I have seen dropped due to bad
welding range from about one tonne to 110 tonnes.

It looks like the welded hooks were G30 hook they may be more weldeable than
G80 lifting gear.
If you want to weld hooks to a plate, weldable hooks are readily available
for the purpose, why not simply use the right item.

I can think of several people who never worked again as a result of poor
lifting practices. If you are hand slinging you are too close for comfort if
the chain or hook fails.