Scott Lincoln

Default How do I use my wood stove?

Hi Phil ..

"Phil Crow" wrote in message
m...
I bought a wood stove for myself for Christmas (18Wx24Hx30D, with
firebrick lining) and now it's all installed per local fire codes.

Do I light the fire and leave the door cracked until the wood (not
kindling) is burning well? I had my vents open all the way and the
door closed; the fire just smoldered. I opened the door, smoke got
all over the garage, I closed it. I opened it a crack and noticed
that the draft was drafting pretty hard, so I left the door open a
crack. About 2 minutes later, with a mild, uh, whoosh, flames
appeared. I let that burn for a while, then closed the door with the
vents wide open. By the way, she was a little warm at this point.

Creosote buildup can be mitigated by using properly seasoned wood. Use
whatever means of introducing air into the firebox it takes to get the fire
burning, but consider using outside combustion air. Watch your smoke for
hints on how to burn efficiently, you want good clean smoke. We heat
exclusively with wood / solar (and have for 27 years); on most heating days
or nights we burn a hot, fast fire then let it die down and the heated mass
take over.

Oh yeah, and buy a hydralic log splitter, it doubles nicely as a clamp

Scott