Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Beryl[_5_] Beryl[_5_] is offline

Default WTB Wards Powermatic Lathe

Scott S. Logan wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:24:20 -0500, RBnDFW
wrote:

This is a 11" or larger cabinet lathe, bright metallic green with a
white racing strip.
Sold by Montgomery Wards until around 1980.
Made by Logan/Houdaille
I am looking to buy one, in very good to mint condition.
Recently bought a Powermatic mill, and it needs a mate.

Montgomery Wards did NOT sell the Powermatic line of lathes. They
sold the Logan lathe (private labeled with the Ward Powr-Kraft badge),
and almost exclusively, the 10".

See:

http://www.loganact.com/history.htm

Powermatic stopped production of the lathe on 28 June 1985.

I would tend to stay away from the Powermatic 11" as it had an odd
variable speed drive that was not used on any Logan; it was adapted
from the Powermatic drill press line.

Besides, why not just get a Logan 12" (14" would be even better) and
if you really like that paint scheme (blech!),

Blech? My bright-metallic-green-with-white-racing-stripe Powermatic
bandsaw is lovely.

paint it yourself.

I may paint my motorcycle in the beautiful Powermatic scheme.