Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Vibratory tumblers

Michael Koblic wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Buy a pro type shaker - not a shell cleaner or polisher - the gun
ones are to light weight and will come apart.

The pro ones have a thick plastic bowl and can handle a lot of material.

I have both - one for reloading - one for small metal stuff.

I bought mine - and the ceramic shapes from MSCdirect.com

I am beginning to find out all the little glitches. Even some of the
so called "industrial" units do not have bowls that will take ceramics
or steel.

I am still not entirely clear how the vibrations are generated in
these units. I managed to find an exploded drawing of one and it seems
that it is the motor body that is attached to the bowl rather than
some sort of cam-shaft arrangement shaking the bowl.

I am trying to visualize how to get a big plastic bowl to shake at
1700 Hz with a motor cannibalized from a drill press :-)

I made a vibratory table for helping place ceramic castables. Same sort
of idea I think as the vibratory tumbler, see
http://www.metal-arts.co.uk/vibrator...ble/index.html . In use when
small amounts of castable are present they often exhibit a tumbling
action, although it is effected by the offset mass placement and speed.
Since taking those pictures I have added a PWM speed controller so have
2 parameters to play with which effect the agitation of the material. I
suspect that for a tumbler the exhaust mounts could be replaced by
springs to reduce the vertical constraint or the exhaust mounts moved
inwards to allow greater pitching of the bowl for more tumbling action.
I have a small propane bottle here that might be worth cutting in half
and clamping on top to try as a tumbler.