Kenneth

Default How do I use my wood stove?

On 26 Dec 2003 18:32:11 -0800, (Phil Crow)
wrote:

SNIP

Am I doing this right?

Hi Phil,

I will add only one thing to the good suggestions you have already
received:

You should never allow a hot fire to burn on an "empty" stove....

By that I mean that many stoves will warp (or worse) if the bottom is
not insulated from the fire. Once you have things running, you will
have a bed of ash that will provide the insulation. Before that time,
you should have some (an inch or more) sand, or some such in the
bottom before you do any serious burning...

When you clean out the stove, always leave some ash in the bottom.

(I will also add as an aside, that we heated exclusively with wood for
about 20 years here in New Hampshire. Then we moved to a new home that
is heated geothermally. It seems that we have gone from the 19th to
the 21st centuries in a flash.)

Good luck with your stove,
--
Kenneth