Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Matt Matt is offline

Default lightweight chainsaw for yard work & Mother's Day

I would recommend a reciprocating saw - saws-all / demo / wrecker's saw -
corded or battery

They have enough power to cut almost anything, and they have a wide variety
of blade types and lengths available.

My Swmbo makes twig yard furniture and wanted a saw several years ago, and
that's what I got her.
(Canadian Tire, corded, on sale $50; 1 1/8" stroke, 8.5 amps)
Easy to use. We got some B&D Piranha blades for pruning - 4.5 TPI 10" blade
They work great.
Easily cuts through +6" branches
However this type of saw does not answer your need for a pole saw.

We recently took down a tree, using that saw to remove all the branches,
before a friend came over with a chainsaw to take down the trunk.
We mostly used a ladder, but there was some climbing.
As an added bonus, if there is anything that needs cutting with out
significant precision this is the saw for it.
I needed to cut some rusty bolts of a my boat trailer - this saw, plugged
into an inverter did it in under 30 seconds.

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
My wife has asked for a small chainsaw for Mother's Day (my kinda woman).
She doesn't want a heavy gas-powered saw, just somthing convenient for
cutting branches and small tree limbs in the yard. What would be ideal,
if anyone makes such a thing, is one that's convertible between a regular
saw a pole saw for high branches. Failing that, recommendations in either
category appreciated. Corded is fine, cordless would be even better
(again, if anyone makes one).

Thanks,

Andy Barss