Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bill@love.ranch is offline

Default Sony KV-2784R horiz problem

OK, I am operating on probabilities here. The rest of the set is 300
miles away. I have a scope and other necessaries but can't plug the tv
in. My extension cords are not long enough. I can get a new fbt for
about $15. what is the probability that will fix it when I carry the
chassis back and fire it up????????????

I have checked all semis with an ohmmeter and find nothing unusual.
The set is 24 yrs old and neer had a problem.
Caps all respond properly to an ohmmeter. I could pull some parts and
ring them with ac but....

What is the probability a fbt will fix it??

thx

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:12:20 -0500, Chuck wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:54:03 -0400, h wrote:

Thanks Chuck, I was just going to ask that.

How is it usually checked.

There is no continuity between coils at DC.
coil resistance seems within reason but as low as it is that probably
isn't a very good test.
I haven't got one laying around to sub.
It is, after all, 24 yrs old. But the CRT is still OK.

Can they be had and at what price????????

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:16:37 -0500, Chuck wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:21:00 -0400,
h wrote:

Sony KV-2784R died - horiz collapse - fuse F501 blown - pressing power
button causes TV to try to start then stops - very soft high freq buzz
is heard. Remote control will not start it. HOT and all diodes in area
test OK with ohmmeter. Fuse is somewhat blackened at end where it
seperated, so it wasn't a slight overload. I do not have schematics.
Is there any history of common component failures here.Just for ref, I
am very technical and had a repair shop in the 80's - this was built
11/86 - just after I closed the shop. So speak to me at that level,
thx.

Most common failure on these is a shorted flyback. Chuck

If you have a scope with a ten times probe, set the V. input for the
highest voltage possible and the H. rate at 20 us and connect the
probe to the HOT collector after plugging the tv into an isolation
transformer. Replace the blown fuse and turn on set. If there is
ringing between the HO pulses, power the set down immediately and
order a flyback replacement. I'd check MCM for a replacement. If
they don't have them, sometimes an Asti flyback will work in a Sony
set. (I haven't had any luck with them for other brands.) Chuck