Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default dead B+S mower engine

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:26:48 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

A partially shorn shaft key might goof up the timing a bit, but the
engine should still run if it fires at all. It's an all or nothing kind
of thing.

I might try to pull the flywheel (which times the ignition) just to check
that - it'd be a heck of a coinicidence if it just happened right at shut-
down last season, but stranger things have happened :-) I've certainly
had keys shear on smaller engines befor

If you do pull the flywheel, shine the magnets (two) with some emory
cloth. Clean any contacts and shine them.

I've seen surface rust (humid areas) on the flywheel magnets - enough
to diminish the good clean firing of the ignition.