Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default OT hand grip differences

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[...]

That is because the carpal tunnel affect the median nerve, most of the

grip
is controlled by the ulnar nerve.

As I understand things, the surgery does not sever any nerves, rather the
surgeon severs the tendon that runs along the base of the palm and when
that
heals back it is a bit longer so less pressure is placed on the nerves
that
run through the tunnel. The result is that the inflammation quells and
the
nerves then return to normal function.

I assume the loss of pinky to thumb grip is a function of the change in
the
mechanical change in the tendon, rather than any difference in the nerves.

But hand anatomy is not my forte so I very well could be way off base.

What is divided in the op is a band of connective tissue called flexor
retinaculum. It has no direct involvement in moving anything. The thumb
opposition is controlled by the median nerve, the movement of the pinky by
ulnar nerve. If you can squeeze things with your pinky by itself the chances
are that a bit of the median nerve is taking its time to recover.

Without knowing the full history of the problem and a proper examination all
of the above is speculation. This, like making dogs walk on hind legs, is
generally a bad idea and probably should not be done at all :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC