Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Tapered pin or split collar

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:02:08 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

We have to replace a 6" diameter x 1.5" wide cast iron gear that has two
broken teeth. It's in the middle of a 4' long 1.25" dia. shaft. The
original gear was pinned to the shaft with a .5" taper pin through a boss on
the gear, but the pin bore was drilled and reamed by hand at the factory and
it's not centered. A mechanic wants to try to hit the tapered hole in the
shaft and I don't think that will ever work. If anything, the new pin
should go 90 degrees from the original.

length of 1.25" bar clamped to V block high enough for gear to slide on,
sticking out far enough for pin holes in boss to be clear of bar. Sat loose.
on mill table. Taper pin reamer in collet in mill. Put gear on bar. Align gear
with reamer in collar. Clamp V block to table. Remove old gear. slide new gear
on. Dab of Loctite or nut + washer to retain on bar. Step drill hole, ream.
Finish ream in place. Done :-)

It has worked for me!

Regards
Mark Rand