Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default dead B+S mower engine

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:42:40 -0500, dpb wrote:
Does it have a fuel filter? What position is the choke plate in; is it
functioning correctly?

Yes and yes - good flow through the filter, and choke plate closes
correctly.

How did it run last year? You say it's old, is the carb body worn badly
at the throttle plate shaft holes so the air mixture is fouled up
badly--that's a typical failure mechanism with age.

Very much so. I was always surprised it ran at all :-) It always was a
bit picky about starting - I got the knack of tickling the throttle just-
so. The carb is certainly worn, particularly around those shaft holes for
the throttle plate, so I'm under no illusion that it's not the best of
carbs :-) I'm just not sure what's changed since it was run last, though
- whatever carb faults it had shouldn't have grown worse by just sitting
there.

As another posted, perhaps there is some small sediment impeding the
carb or the float is stuck or similar problem. Does it seem starved or
rich for fuel-related symptoms?

It always ran rich (and there was quite a lot of fouling within the head
when I pulled it).

What shape is the plug? What about the plug wire; is it in good
condition or could it be cracked from age?

No *visible* cracks, tip is in good condition (and I checked the gap). If
I pull the plug and ground it, then turn the engine over, it's giving a
healthy-looking spark, although I suppose there's the possibility that
what looks good isn't good enough.

Oh, so many choices...

Yep! It's the figuring out what's changed while it's just sat there which
is probably key, I suppose.

cheers

Jules