Joe Woody Woodpecker

Default buying a dust collector

You want to know how my TS dust hood is built? Well, I have no
pictures, but I will try and describe it for you. And yes, it does use
a 2-1/2" shop vac line from my DC

First off, I used 1/2" melamine faced particle board. I cut a shape
much like a hip & ridge roof, only this was turned upside down to form a
funnel with two flat sides. Then I cut the ridge (the long sides that
came together) so that there was a small opening at a slant. (much like
cutting an inch from one side and two inches from the other side) Then
this left an opening that was perfect to fit a shop vac floor brush
found at Lowes that had the brushes removed and duct taped tightly to
the opening. The other end was hung from the sides of the saw stand
using the same principal as the dust bag most WW stores sell for $40.,
only there was 4" of canvas used to the particle board from the saw
stand.

Inside the unit there was a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth stapled
down at a level just high enough to be the floor area when the door is
open. This allows the door to be opened and small pieces removed so
they don't get swept into the DC. I also use zero clearance blade
plates, but not everytime do these prevent the small pieces from getting
away.

A shop vac hose connected from the manifold to a blast gate on the side
of the saw is placed when setting up the saw. There is a hose that is
permanently connected from the blast gate to the floor brush and taped
well with duct tape.

Like I said, I do not have any photos, so don't ask to see any pics. I
just figured any WW'er would know how to build this.

--

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Fri, Dec 26, 2003, 1:48pm (MST+7) From:
(Bob=A0Davis)

Could you describe what a well made port on the table saw looks like?
You're the first person I've read that espoused using a 2 1/2" hose to
collect dust from a table saw.
Bob

--

"Joe "Woody" Woodpecker" wrote in message

... even the TS after a well
made dust collection port has been made.

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03