Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dead B+S mower engine

On Apr 30, 9:42�am, dpb wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:

The engine's a 10HP B+S with electric start. Fresh gas, fresh oil. Fuel
line's clear, carb is free of debris. It's got compression, spark, and is
getting gas to the cylinder. I pulled the head and checked the bore and
valve seats, and no obvious problems there.

I've got the service manual, and the best it's managing at the moment is
with the needle valve 1-1/2 turns out and idle valve at 1 turn out (as
per manual for "this'll at least allow it to run so you can adjust the
carb"), where it'll *almost* run - it'll fire and turn fast enough to
disengage the starter pinion, then immediately die on me.

Any ideas what else to look at? ...

Does it have a fuel filter? �What position is the choke plate in; is it
functioning correctly?

How did it run last year? �You say it's old, is the carb body worn badly
at the throttle plate shaft holes so the air mixture is fouled up
badly--that's a typical failure mechanism with age. �It tends to make
them run w/ a noticeable surge as the air:fuel mixture varies widely as
a symptom from last year did it have such behavior?

As another posted, perhaps there is some small sediment impeding the
carb or the float is stuck or similar problem. �Does it seem starved or
rich for fuel-related symptoms?

What shape is the plug? �What about the plug wire; is it in good
condition or could it be cracked from age?

Oh, so many choices... �

--

try removing spark plug, insert some gasoline, reinstall plug and try
to start.

if it runs for a short time its no doubt a clogged carb or fuel line
issue.
this might get it running fine, the engines vacuum may clear the carb
problem