Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry C[_2_] Larry C[_2_] is offline

Default Counter top

wrote in message
On Apr 30, 7:25 am, Robatoy wrote:

Heeeey.. I know something about countertops.http://www.topworks.ca
DIY laminate jobs are not for the amateur, really. By the time you
select your substrate and buy your glue, trim-bits and so on, is it
really worth doing? Hire a pro.

Sometimes, there are certain tasks best left to the expertise of
others.

Back 35 years ago, we used to do it out of necessity. I still have
the laminate trimmers, the bits, guides, etc. from when I stopped
doing it 20 years ago. It isn't brain surgery, but the learning curve
can be *quite* expensive.

The results from a first time lamination project are rarely
acceptable. And I don't want anything in my house that I have to say
"well, that was the first time I had ever tried that, but I saved some
money and learned a lot along the way".

There are guys around who will charge a fair dollar for solid surface
work. Stay away from the snooty high-end guys.

I would think that at this time you could find someone that would be
happy to do a job that for a fair price. A guy that does this all day
long can turn out a kitchen in post form laminate in a few hours from
start to finish, depending on the complexity.

Then they haul off the old tops. You have a nice job, the sink hole
is in the right place, the edges are all finished correctly, you have
a happy spouse, and you are finished in one day. All you have to do
is hook the plumbing back up.

Call the laminate suppliers and the solid surface guys in your area
and ask for a recommended installer.

Robert

The last two posters bring up a good point. How long is the job to last?
What I mean is, I did mine because we were going to redo the whole kitchen
and get some solid counter tops (insert recession here). So the job was to
last just a couple of years and I went on the cheap about 2 weeks before the
family holiday party - 4 years ago.

Get a few prices first.

Larry C