Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Shop size advise needed

On Apr 30, 9:57*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have a large shop and want to subdivide a section dedicated to
woodworking.

The shop already has separately framed area that is 24ft. x 11ft. *I
have a chance to extend this 11 foot width for an additional 12 feet.
Total would be 36 feet by 11 feet.

Question!!

Is 11 feet width adequate. *If needed the addition could be broadened
to 13 feet wide by 12 feet long.
To recap, final size could be 36 feet long, with the last 12 feet of
width being 13 feet wide instead of 11 feet wide.

Is the extra two feet worth it or needed? *Can you do a decent layout
within 11 feet?

All comments greatly appreciated. *Would like to start framing within
a week.

The bonus in all of this is that whatever I add on creates extra
'mezzanine' storage on top. *Also a great place for the shop cat.

Ivan Vegvary

Lots of good advice so far..."lanes"...bigger is better"..."break down 4x8
sheet of plywood". *Keep in mind that a "lane" for a table saw (and some
other tools) needs to be at least 16' long. *Minimum.

At *least*. Note that "lanes" can overlap in a home shop. In some
cases tools may also be placed in "lanes" (bench/vice under a SCMS
"lane", for instance).

In a long, narrow shop such as you are talking about the natural inclination
would be to string tools along both long sides. *Allowing 2' for each row of
machines, you would have a 7' or 9' area between hem. *Plus a lot of length.

My advice is to go here...http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx
and play around with the planner trying different shop layouts.

Cool. Didn't know about that one.

Personally, I prefer a more square room. *Mine is 24 x 20.

I would, too, but you take what you can get (mine will end up carving
out the "attic" over the garage and laundry, about 15x30 but three
sides will be knee walls. :-(