Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G. Denis G. is offline

Default Having a home shop means...

On Apr 30, 12:20*am, Don Foreman
wrote:
Replacing all those hurty-finger globe screws on light fixtures with
knice knurled knob screws.

Keeping a fleet of old cars running, reliable and presentable for two
decades, *sending no money to Detroit or Japan while putting 5 kids
thru university. Side benefit: *the kids may choose not to do their
own wrenching but they know how to avoid getting hustled by mechanics.

Making those little metric flat-head screws on the front wheels of VW
Rabbits after having to drill them out on Sunday afternoon.

Welding up cantilever shelving supports for the basement that easily
support the far-greater-than-anticipated loads.

Exactly matching color for milady's curtain rods by mixing colors of
Rustoleum and applying with a jamb gun. *

Making polished brass clamps to support rods that hang quilts for
display. *

Fabricating and welding a metal gate for a job my neighbor had, in
exchange for him re-roofing my yard shed with rubber sheet roofing
that will last far longer than I'll care.

Repair garage door torque shaft with lathe and TIG, saving hundreds of
dollars with less than an hour's work. The repair is invisible and is
still in service a decade later.

Do treadmill repairs on rollers with contained bearings that failed.
New rollers are available but take a week to get. *Cut roller in
lathe, knock out bad bearing, replace with new one from local bearing
shop, weld roller back together, turn joint smooth in lathe.

Last time I used my lathe: *yesterday. *Last time I used my mill: day
before yesterday. *I will be doing a little welding tomorrow. *

I got my Ellie Badge and haven't even done half those things!